My Research

“What is the Universe made of?” To date, we only know the answer for ∼5% of the Universe. In the context of our standard cosmological model, a quarter of the remaining 95% is dark matter. Combining observation and theory, I am leading several projects to investigate dark matter, its role in galaxy evolution and galaxy evolution as a whole: 1) a study of inner rings in barred galaxies, determining the formation redshift of the first dynamically cold galaxy disks, 2) a characterization of the inner parts of galaxies to better understand the dark matter distribution and thereby constraining its properties, and 3) a cross-disciplinary effort to identify pure dark matter halos devoid of any luminous component. I have also been working on bars, bulges and thick disks and their role in the secular evolution in galaxies.

(click on images for more information)